VirusTotal also provides a desktop application which is not a Anti-Virus suite, don’t consider it to use by replacing your anti-virus kit, it won’t help you in that way, it can only be used to find whether a file/URL is infected or not. It can perform limited kind of operations and not less accepting various vast file format and present you the search result in web browser. It’s a best way to quickly verify a file as virus free if you don’t have any anti-virus installed for protection or in-case it’s not that powerful or doesn’t support vast features of anti-virus like Kaspersky or similar. In this tutorial I’m going to show the right way to use VirusTotal and it’s every feature.
- Any file can be uploaded to search by-sent to option/ drag & drop.
- Active files like which are currently ongoing background process can also be uploaded and checked.
- URL checker (Search infected links and files)
- Active Online Internet Connection
- VirusTotal Uploader Desktop Application DOWNLOAD NOW
>> Download the setup file from above and install it by following it’s simple instructions.
>> To run a search on any file, simply:
- left-click on it and select VirusTotal, OR
- Drag and drop, and click ‘ Upload ‘
>> To upload active process file:
- select the process you wish to check it’s source file and click ‘ Upload ‘
NOTE: To keep your PC safe and clean, check the link of web-page and file before downloading.
- Type any URL, click on ‘ Get and Upload ‘
File will be uploaded depending on file-size and internet uploading speed.
As soon as the upload is finish, it’ll be checked and the result summary will be displayed in web browser, which summarizes the file properties briefly.
Smiley describes the votes by users whether a file is malicious or harmless, only registered users are allowed to vote.
ANALYSIS: shows the anti-virus versions they have and use to check files
COMMENTS: Read comments if have any for better understanding of file status.
VOTES: See the reputation of file here voted by different people, Green smiley means file is infection-free and if red, it’s infected.
ADDITIONAL INFO: It’s the complete file analysis of technical description.
NOTE: In options menu, let the settings be default ” Do not store downloaded files on disk “, if you choose other two options there’s a chance that your PC may get’s infected in-case of URL checking.